Propane Grilling: Safe Tailgating Tips for Game Day
Football is in full swing and tailgating regardless of the temperature outside is still a fan ritual. What is better than cheering on your team while enjoying great food. If your grilling outside though, there are some outdoor safety concerns that you need to be aware of so you can have a fun and safe tailgating experience. If you follow these propane safety tips your next tailgating experience will be a touchdown.
- You want to keep any propane grill at least six feet away from trees, bushes, vehicles, and other combustible materials. Never grill on or in your vehicle.
- Always follow the user manual for any portable propane grill.
- NEVER transport a grill with the propane tank connected. Always transport a propane tank in an upright position.
- NEVER light a propane grill when you have the lid closed.
- Keep pets, children and lawn games (footballs, etc.) away from the grilling area.
- Never leave the grill unattended. Once you place food on the grill, it is best practice to stay with it until it’s cooked.
- If you run out of gas while grilling, turn off all the burners before reconnect the new tank and light it again.
- When you have finished grilling, turn off the shut-off valve and disconnect the couplings before storing the grill. When ever possible leave the grill outside and place it in your vehicle only when you are ready to leave the stadium lot.
- Use a meat thermometer and follow these minimum internal temperature guidelines: whole or ground poultry—165 degrees F; ground meats (other than poultry)—160 degrees F; fresh fish—145 degrees F; and fresh whole (not ground) pork, beef or veal—145 degrees F with a three-minute rest time.
- Bring two sets of utensils and dishes if grilling raw meat. One is for use with raw foods and the other for cooked foods.
- To avoid bacterial growth, don’t leave food out for more than two hours.
Of course all your tailgating plans for be for naught if you propane grill doesn’t work. And of course that means making sure you have enough propane to get through the party and feed everybody. There is a Mighty Flame propane tank exchange location nearby, pretty much wherever you are. So check out our nearby propane exchange locations map and throw a shrimp kebab on for us. Cheers!